The UPPSC (Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission) is a state-level services examination conducted to recruit candidates for various group A and group B services of the state of Uttar Pradesh. The agency which is responsible to conduct these state-level civil service examinations has the power to do so by the Constitution of India. Around 5 lakh to 10 lakh candidates appear for the UPPSC examination every year. It is among one of the most popular state examinations conducted across India.
Once candidates clear this examination, they are appointed for gazetted posts like Block Development Officer, Deputy Superintendent of Police, Deputy Collector, and so on. Like the Union Public Service Commission Examination, the UPPSC examination is also divided into three broad stages, namely, Preliminary, Mains, and Interview. In this article, we will discuss the UPPSC syllabus for prelims along with discussing some tips and tricks to pass this examination in one go.
In the UPPSC examination, there are two sections into which examinations are divided. The first is the preliminary stage and the second one is the Mains. In the first stage, there are two papers (MCQ type) and in the second stage, there are eight papers that consist of descriptive and essay-based questions. We will discuss the prelims syllabus in this article. If you want to get the detailed UPPSC syllabus under one umbrella, you can visit BYJU’s exam prep. Along with the syllabus, you will also get a detailed list of important dates, exam patterns, study techniques, and much more that will help you in your preparations.
Prelims Syllabus for UPPSC Examination
The updated Prelims Syllabus for the UPPSC examination is given below.
- Paper 1 consists of the following topics: Indian history, national movement, general science, climate change, environmental ecology, biodiversity, demographics, poverty inclusion, sustainable development, social sector initiatives, political system, public policy, Panchayati raj, constitution, rights issues, socio-economic geography, physical geography, current events of national importance, and current events of international importance.
Note: Candidates appearing in the UPPSC examination are expected to have general knowledge and awareness of the topics discussed above with special reference to the state of Uttar Pradesh. The past trends of this examination indicate that many questions related to Uttar Pradesh are very frequent.
- Paper 2 consists of the following topics: Comprehension, general mental ability, analytical ability and logical reasoning, interpersonal skills, problem-solving and decision making, general Hindi, general English, and elementary mathematics.
Elementary mathematics can further be divided into the following topics:
- Arithmetic: Number system, work and time, averages, percentages, ratio and proportion, profit and loss, simple and compound interest, speed, time and distance, real numbers, complex numbers, division of an integer, lowest common multiple, highest common factor, integers, and natural numbers.
- Algebra: Polynomials, factors of polynomials, remainder theorem, linear equations, linear equations in two variables, quadratic equations, set theory, relations, and functions.
- Geometry: Theorems and constructions related to figures like triangle, square, rectangle, circle, trapeziums, and mensuration.
- Statistics: Arithmetic mean, mode, median, harmonic mean, frequency polygon, histogram, cumulative frequency curves, bar diagram, pie chart, cumulative frequency, collection of data, frequency, tabulation, frequency distribution, classification, and collection of data.
General English consists of topics like comprehension, fill in the blanks, word meanings, direct and indirect speech, parts of speech, active voice, passive voice, the transformation of sentences, idioms, phrases, punctuation, and spellings.
Tips and Tricks to Clear the UPPSC Examination in Your Coming Attempt
- Be thorough with the exam pattern and the syllabus of the examination. If the entire syllabus is under one umbrella, you can start your preparations strategically.
- Read books and be updated with current affairs. These types of examinations need students to be well versed with things that are going on in and outside the country.
- Make a proper plan so that you can complete your syllabus before time and you have adequate time for revisions and mock tests. You can even appear for the mock tests conducted by BYJU’s exam prep.
- Keep a positive mindset